|Tehri Dam, Uttarakhand, India|
Are you planning a trip to India soon? If you are, you should remember to visit one tourist attraction that you will not want to miss. Tehri Dam, located in Uttarakhand, is the highest dam in India and is certainly a must-see on your travel itinerary.
Facts about Tehri Dam
• The dam, located in the Himalayan foothills, happens to be a main attraction in India. It provides amazing views and is also an impressive piece of workmanship, being one of the world’s largest hydroelectric projects.
• The dam is located where the Bhagirathi and Bhilangna rivers meet. The area is a favorite spot for tourists to relax, enjoy the scenery, and have picnics.
• The area of Tehri Dam and surrounding locales can be reached by air, rail, car or bus. If you decide to travel by road, you will be treated to hills and valleys that can create some fascinating scenes and opportunities for the taking of photos. Car and bus travel are the best ways to partake of the beautiful surroundings.
• The height of the dam is 855 feet. At this height, it is the fifth tallest in the world. The length is 1,886 feet, and the base width is 3,701 feet. It is an embankment construction consisting of rock-fill and earth. Tehri Dam is gate controlled.
• The huge dam has been the subject of much protest due to families that were displaced due to its reservoir. There are still legal battles going on regarding resettlement, with compensation being sought on behalf of displaced individuals.
• The dam opened in 2006 and cost one billion U.S. dollars. Construction actually began in 1978.
• Tehri Dam allows for irrigation to approximately 670,000 acres and provides 270 million gallons of drinking water to Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and Uttarakhand.
• The dam has been built to stand up to earthquakes of 7.2 on the Richter scale.
• The area where Tehri Dam is located is a religious spot for Hindus.
• It would be very easy for a tourist to spend a day at this beautiful and scenic location. There are many photo opportunities due to the views and surrounding nature. Since it is so easy to reach by different modes of transportation, many tourists are attracted to the area each year.
There are other attractions close to Tehri Dam that might also be of interest to you. Kodia Jungle is close by and presents many opportunities for incredible photos due to the natural beauty of the locale. The Surkhanda Devi Temple is also located in the area and is another breathtaking spot.
If you are looking for a location where the scenery is awe-inspiring and scenic views surround you, Tehri Dam will be one of the spots that you will want to visit on your trip to India. Make certain to take many photographs so that you will be able to capture the true beauty of the area to remember after your trip has come to a close.
CC Image credit: Arvind Iyer
CC Image credit: Arvind Iyer